Friday, February 27, 2009

Happy New Years...

The day was New Year's Eve, 2008. I was bored- very bored. I didn't want to spend yet another New Year's watching that stupid ball drop on TV. I didn't know what else to do though. Then, I remembered that some people often go to celebratory events known as "parties" during times like New Year's. So I started calling people to see where I could find one of these things. I called a dozen people and found nothing. Then, I called my friend, Brittany. She said that there was a a party at her house and that I could come if I wanted. I was extremely excited. Maybe that was my mistake... someone like me who's especially prone to disaster should have learned not to get their hopes up so quickly. Brittany lives in Mt. Airy. I got directions and hopped on the bus at about 11.00. It took me about an hour to get to the corner that's two blocks from her house. On the frigid walk on the way to Brittany's house, I thought about the extreme "partying" that I'd be doing in a few minutes. I thought there would be lots of loud music (you know, the angry kind of music that us teenagers listen to). Anyway, my hopes were near critical mass when I knocked on the door. I should have suspected something when I saw how quiet the house was from outside. Not to mention that the lights had more of a wholesome, warm flicker to them. Brittany answered the door. She said "Hi" and welcomed me inside.

When I went in, I didn't see a party. There wasn't even any music.
There was only Brittany's family, having a warm, innocent dinner at their dining room table. (At this point, I'd like to mention that I was wearing a glow stick necklace to add to the effect of my look.) What I expected to be a wild, New Years party was actually someone's family dinner. I would have run out the door. Over the years I have learned that the best way to avoid awkward situations is to simply, and immediately, run away. This was not an option, as it was the dead of winter and I was already almost dead from the cold.

There's no graceful way to write this. There's no way to make this sound un-awkward.
I went in and met each one of Brittany's family members one by one for the first time. I ended up hanging out with Brittany in her kitchen because I was on the verge of projectile vomiting. Eventually, I left. Happy New Years, Alex.

1 comment:

  1. Why do you talk like a 90 year old man. "Then, I remembered that some people often go to celebratory events known as "parties" during times like New Year's." My grandpa sound younger.

    ReplyDelete